Sunday, May 9, 2010

Leading Lines

Today I would like to share with you a photo of this young pretty lady that I took a couple of weeks ago. In all my recent work I try to focus on composition and I have become a big fan of negative space, as seen on the right of the photo. Moreover, the subtle lines in the bricks at the background all lead towards her, which makes the photo dramatic but soft at the same time (if you don't see the lines, you have to adjust the contrast and brightness of your monitor). I have to thank to David Ziser and his blog DigitalProTalk.com for teaching me to see the lines in his numerous video tutorials. The lighting was also done ala David with a shoot-through umbrella on a monopod at camera left. I opted for a broad lighting on this photo as it, first of all, suits my model very well and second it provides a very nice high-key background effect right behind her which is slowly disappearing as we progress to the right where the leading lines become visible. The on-camera flash was bounced to the wall on the right to fill-in the shadows just a bit. The colors of the final photo were only slightly improved in Lightroom to achieve a more fashion-like look. Camera spec: Canon 5D mark ii with Canon 24-105 4L at 90mm, F5.6 @ 1/125, ISO 400.

No comments: